A subdomain is an additional section of your domain name that comes before your main domain. … Or, you can also use one WordPress install to power multiple sites on subdomains.
What is a subdomain example?
A subdomain is an additional part to your main domain name. Subdomains are created to organize and navigate to different sections of your website. … In this example, ‘store’ is the subdomain, ‘yourwebsite’ is the primary domain and ‘.com’ is the top level domain (TLD).
What is a subdomain used for?
A subdomain lets you separate portions of your site that are extensive enough to warrant their own dedicated hierarchy without going through all of the trouble of setting up a new site with a new domain or confusing visitors with a completely different root domain.
What is the difference between a domain and a subdomain?
The main difference between a Domain and a Subdomain is that Domain can exist without a subdomain, but the subdomain without the domain can’t. … If you want to find the subdomain of any website, you can do it using a tool . Type the domain name and get the list of domains.
Is a subdomain a separate website?
Search Engine Optimization
Search engines recognize subdomains as completely separate web addresses from your root domain. So, you can use your subdomain to get new traffic and send them to your main site. … Having another domain with different content can also help you build backlinks for your main site.
How many subdomains are allowed?
Each domain name can have up to 500 subdomains. You can also add multiple levels of subdomains, such as info.blog.yoursite.com. A subdomain can be up to 255 characters long, but if you have multiple levels in your subdomain, each level can only be 63 characters long.
How do I setup a subdomain?
More videos on YouTube
- Log in to cPanel.
- Locate the Domains section then click Subdomains.
- In the drop-down, select the domain where you wish to create a subdomain.
- In the box before the domain, type the subdomain name you want.
- The box for Document Root will auto-fill after filling out the Subdomain field.
Why subdomains are bad for SEO?
Subdomains are Viewed as Separate Sites
By keeping your content separate from your website, you decrease the SEO value of your main website and lose many visitor benefits and ranking factors.
Do you have to register a subdomain?
It is not always necessary to register a new domain name if you already have one and you are interested to have a separate site apart from the main one. Rather than registering a new domain name, you can always create a subdomain using a domain you already own, for example blog. domain. tld or forum.
Which domain is best for SEO?
SEO best practices for domains
- Make your domain name memorable. …
- Use broad keywords when sensible. …
- Avoid hyphens if possible. …
- Avoid non-.com top-level domains (TLDs) …
- Favor subfolders/subdirectories over subdomains. …
- Don’t sweat over domain age. …
- Moving domains.
How do I find the subdomain of a domain?
- DNSDumpster is a domain research tool to find host-related information. …
- Subdomain Finder by Spyse is a handcrafted search engine that allows you to discover subdomains of any domain. …
- Sublist3r is a python tool to find subdomains using a search engine.
Is WWW a subdomain domain?
What exactly is the “www”? Technically, it’s a subdomain traditionally used to indicate that a site is part of the web, as opposed to some other part of the Internet like Gopher or FTP.
How do I use subdomains in WordPress?
- Go to your Domains page (My Site → Manage → Domains) and click the domain you wish to add the subdomain to.
- Click Name Servers and DNS, then DNS Records.
- In Type select CNAME or A.
- Enter the subdomain you want in Name.
Do I need to install WordPress on each subdomain?
Because subdomains are separate domains, it can be harder to integrate them into the rest of your site. For example, if you’re using a single site WordPress install, you’d need two separate installs — one for your main domain name and one for the subdomain.
Do I need to install WordPress for each domain?
No. If you’re managing multiple WordPress sites, the best bet is WordPress Multisite. Many hosting providers have this option, so you don’t always have to install WordPress again–you might be able to install Multisite “into” your existing WP install.
Does subdomain affect domain?
A subdomain is very different from a subdirectory; it is like an entirely different website. The subdomain is associated with the domain, but not the website that is associated with the domain name. A subdomain is generally considered as a standalone site that is branched off from the main domain.